August 07, 2009

Progress Report

* Finish sewing 12 burp cloths for Peanut-Half way done (and there are 16 of them)
* Sew snap in panel in nightgowns to cover cleavage (don't need guests seeing too much)
* Laundry-3/4 done
* Finish packing hospital bags (as much as possible)
* Fill out pre-check in to the hospital on line (did a paper version before but have not heard from them...)
* Put iTunes on laptop
* Add soothing music for labor to iTunes
* Charge cameras
* Doc appointment at 12-Check
* Grocery shop-Check
* Dinner at Longhorn with Michael-Check
* Purchase Gift Certificates for upcoming weddings and showers-Check
* Exchange MJ's jogging pants-Check
* Maybe do a Babies 'R Us run to get little items not purchased
* Look for plane tickets and hotel for Uncle Jason's wedding in October
* Scan and put out wedding pictures (yes, we just got them due to our very late ordering. But hey, they will be up before the baby pic. take over the house)
* Put away misc. baby gifts
* Clean our bedroom
* Put together jogging stroller (have to hit the trail ASAP after delivery and I want to be ready!)

Well that is where we stand on the To Do list. Now for the update on the doctor visit:
We saw the Nurse Practitioner, Heather, today...you know the super skinny one who told me it is only 300 extra cal. a day--which was only a yogurt and banana...Yes, my second "favorite" person at the practice.

So, my urine and blood pressure look good as well as baby's heart rate :). My weight "jumped" a little (2 lbs) so we discussed 6 small meals/light snacks...you know "carrot sticks and some almonds". Gee thanks for the oh-so-insightful-I-would-have-never-thought-of-that-on-my-own advice. All I could think was "Go eat a pizza B*&$h"...

Anyway....other than than NOTHING has changed--still sitting high at -3, thinned a little but still at 50% effaced and am not dilated at all yet...so then she starts talking about next week and induction. As you might imagine this made me even more upset. Ultra Sound on Monday, Non-stress test on Wednesday or Thursday. Ok, that is understandable. No problem with that. Then, tries to end the "conversation" with a "discussion" about scheduling me for induction on Thursday or Friday, which is what they "typically" do depending on the availability at the hospital. Wait, don't I get a little bit of say in this? Don't I get a chance to hit the 41 week mark before you sign me up for induction? So I ask the silly question of "what is the option of going past 41 weeks?". Blah, blah, blah, 9 1/2 lbs. baby, blah, blah, blah old placenta, blah, blah, blah there are risks.

I get that there is sound medical reasons for not going too long. But, I also think you should give me a chance to hit 41 weeks--which would be on Monday, not the previous Thursday or Friday. Hey, what happened to Saturday and/or Sunday even? I got the impression that Thurs./Fri. is a better option for the doctors...never mind what is best for me or baby. Now, MJ says he did not get that at all and that perhaps I am being a little quick to blame. Ok. No, I don't buy it. Perhaps she got confused as to when my due date is and when exactly we will hit the 41 week mark. I might buy that, but wait...isn't this her job? Shouldn't she pay more attention than that? This is why I asked the question about going past 41 weeks. I'm cool with induction after next Monday, but not before (unless one of the tests shows that it is time for Peanut to come out, then I am all about induction. But let's see the tests first people!). I think she picked up on my concern, double checked the dates, mentioned something about not being due until Sunday and back tracked a little on being induced on Thursday.

Needless to say, there will be much conversation with the DOCTORS before I show up for induction--especially on Thursday or Friday. Stay tuned....

1 comment:

Baby Momma Andrea said...

First off, seriously, they're commenting on gaining 2lbs in a week... potentially your last week of pregnancy - give me a break! I bet you look great :-) Besides, you're about to lose 10+ lbs in one day! Skinny Nurse can shut it!

Second, good for you for speaking up about not wanting to be induced before it's necessary. What's a couple more days?! (And perhaps another pound or two, wink wink!)