June 23, 2010

Tiaras for Mommy?

Let me start by saying that I do NOT have an issue with ALL pageants. In fact, I have been a supporter of the Miss America program (the world's largest provider of scholarship assistance for women) for almost 10 years now.

Well, Michael was just flipping through channels and landed on TLC. Currently, Toddlers & Tiaras is on. I have watch this show before and relate it to a car accident: you know you shouldn't look but you can't help but try to figure out what is going on as you drive past. Tonight's show was about an "American Best" pageant and once again I was a bit disturbed in what I saw: Parents (mothers mostly) pushing their children to preform (and getting mad/upset if they were not perfect), 2 year-olds wearing full makeup, 6 year-olds wearing fake teeth, toddlers being "sexy", mothers/toddlers NEEDING to win, Mothers/toddlers crying if they did not win, etc..

Sure you could argue that the little ones are learning to speak publicly while building self confidence, but I don't see why you would need to do this with more makeup on than the average adult woman wears on date night while also sporting fake hair, nails and teeth. In total dismay I did some checking trying to find SOME benefit to such pageants; perhaps these too are good collage-money-makers. I found this site for America's Best Pageants. With a $225 entry fee (and a required $25 shirt purchase along with a fee for each additional category you wish to participate/win, then add in the cost of hair, makeup, nails, teeth, costumes and perhaps talent training) I don't see how this is really a deal or money maker for many, if any participants. At this point, I can't find a true benefit for the girls and it still seems to be more for the moms.

So, my current question is which is worse:

A) Parents actually spend mass amounts of time and money on such pageants

or

B) Grown adults actually take time to coordinate such events


I just don't get it...please feel free to discuss/enlighten me via comments.

3 comments:

Kristi said...

Hahaha - love the car accident comparison. That show is entertaining, if nothing else. There was one ep that had a psycho pageant DAD - hilarious!

I don't know which is worse, but I do know that it's horrible. Have you seen the teeth implants they wear? I mean, REALLY!

Keliann and Michael said...

Ahhh, flappers. It is so sad that a child can't even enjoy losing a tooth. In fact they are taught that it is ugly and it must be covered up with perfection. Sad doesn't even cover it. (But I just told on myself...I have watched more than one episode, that's how I know what they call them.)

Thanks for feeling my pain on this one. I thought I might be the only one who was disturbed (and yes entertained) by this show.

Miss you!

Kelli said...

As a former pageant person and as a current PERSON, these shows should be BANNED and every parent who does that to their child should be sent to therapy and parenting school. The end :) Great post!