June 17, 2011

Not the Only Stubborn One


I am writing this from the darkened room of a stubborn 22 month, minus one day, old daughter who just cried/screamed in her crib for 40+minutes before deciding that she wanted (and could) climb out of her crib!

The story goes like this: I decided that we were going to start the fight of Abby putting herself to sleep when Mommy puts to bed at night this evening. So after a half hour of reading books in Abby's room I put her in her crib for one last story... Needless to say she was NOT happy about that. The story ended and Mommy left...she was NOT happy about that. I let her cry for a little and out went the paci (all 4 of them), the pillow, the blanket, Peanut and Ellie...she was NOT happy about that. In I went to return them to their rightful place, told her that we the last time I was coming in tonight and that if she threw stuff out again it was all gone for the night-that she understood. And out Mommy went...she was NOT happy about that.

And with the monitor in tow to the basement I went for cat duty. Abby was upset and crying pretty hard but Mommy had to stay strong.

After a few minutes she started to settle down and the crying stopped. This is always when I wish I would have registered for the video monitor but I told my self not to worry because she was simply falling asleep...WRONG!! As I come up the stairs from the basement the crying starts again but this time it sounds like she is in the hall upstairs--"just not possible" I think to myself. Then, I hear the gate rattle and I instantly think "who's upstairs?!" but it hits me when I hear the crying...Abby is out of her crib!!!!! Panic sets in "oh @!&! she is crying because she is hurt!!!" "she broke her arm/leg/finger!!!" "I'm such a horrible mom, how did I let this happen??"

I finally reach the top of the stairs and the crying stops as she meets my gaze. She is fine. I scoop her up and want to hug her and scold her all at the same time. I decide that she needs to know that it is not ok to climb out of the crib so scolding won (have I ever said how hard it it to do the right thing sometimes?). In to time out she went and the "no no" conversation began. A quick hug followed then back to bed she went. I had to stay in the room for fear of her climbing out again.

So, I guess we will really be changing the crib into a bed this weekend!!!

No comments: