November 10, 2009

Abby Moves Out

I am a procrastinator at heart, I know this and now you do too. There are MANY things I have been putting off these last 3 months--buying new pants because I know that I will lose more weight (have to start working on that one...), buying new shoes because I know my feet will shrink back to my old size (keeping my fingers crossed on this still), getting the Jeep looked at and oil changed because I am afraid to hear what they have to say about the beast with 133,000+ miles (come on Jeep, two more years)--but what I have been procrastinating the most on was moving Abby into her own room.

You see, it's so nice to have her there at the foot of the bed in her bassinet: When she wakes to feed I don't have to go down the hall, when she poops and wakes herself all I have to do is crawl to the end of the bed and put in her pacifier, when I haven't heard a peep out of her in 9 hours I don't have to go into another room to make sure she is ok. She is always right there--it is so nice to have her so close all the time. I really didn't want rush putting her into her own room And besides I want to have her room done before she moves in...

Well, at almost 3 months Abby has grown so much that there is barely enough room for her in the basket, which kinda makes the move necessary at this point. So, I have spent the last two days getting rid of all of my excuses for not having her in there yet: finishing and hanging the curtain, putting away all of the clothes and gifts she received and moving all the stuff from our room to hers. Most of the excuses I have used to delay the inevitable are gone and Abby spent her first night in her own room last night.

I wasn't sure how her first night in new surroundings would go--after all this new room does not look or smell like Mommy's and Daddy's room--so I had to do a little planning. For the past two weeks we had been spending time in her room each day; I got her ready for the day there, had her in the room while I cleaned and organized, and laid her in her crib while awake as often as possible.

All in all, I think her first night went pretty well. I figured the transition would be a little more work than the average night due to her new surroundings, but in the end we managed to escape any major drama! She went down with ease, but woke 5 or 6 times within the first 2 hours. I got to thinking that she might need a little more Mommy around so I put the little 8x8 blanket down as a sheet under her head so that my sent was there to comfort her. I think it worked! After putting this down she did not wake until 1 am. Not bad... She woke again at 3:30 for her pacifier, at 4 and 6 for a feeding. At 8 a.m. she was a happy camper.

Tonight went much better: Down at 7 and have not heard a peep from her since! Good work Abby! Your are a big girl now with her very own room!!

1 comment:

Kelli said...

Ooooooooh! Post pics of the room!