June 12, 2009

Marathon

No question about it---it was a marathon!!! I'll keep the summary short:

10 couples braved the Saturday Marathon and of course it was a mixed crowd! Normal for the most part, which means one "know-it-all-couple", one "are-you-kidding-me-couple", that brought mom and one "so-sorry-for-you-big-guy-couple". I'll explain the last one in more detail: "Lucy" and "Bob" were about 16 or 17 years of age (strike one) and had "Lucy's" grandma (yup, she is on her way to being "Great Grandma"--strike two) in tow. Needless to say Grate Grandma to-be was NOT happy about the situation and was sure to let EVERYONE know (strike three....so sorry for you Bob) as often as possible!!! To add to their misery, she also loved to discuss her birthing experiences when given the chance.

Even though it was a Marathon, it did fall into the "Express" category as far as information goes. That, or I read way too much and expected too much from the class. MJ seemed to find it useful and I am sure I will appreciate his new knowledge of the birthing positions and all of the back rubbing he is REQUIRED to do when the time comes :)

What did I WANT to learn that I did not:

1) the true meaning of "pressure" and "pain"
2) will contractions feel more along the lines of "OMG Leg cramp" x10 or "Oh S#&$, my cervix is being RIPED open and set on fire"
3) detailed info on pain meds vs. epidural (Tylenol vs. numbing from the dentist??)

Pretty much what I could expect in the "feeling" department. I managed to talk to a girl at work who gave birth 3 months ago and tends not to take Advil, Pep-to, NyQuil, etc. like me and learn more in a 30 conversation than I did participating in the marathon. Thanks Renee!!

We did get to tour the facility....No bad. The family waiting room is a little on the small side, we might fill it up with just our families (hope no one else plans on giving birth when we do). On that note, we did notice that NO ONE was there. Well, new or delivering mothers that is--plenty of staff. At first we were a bit concerned Is this not a good place to have a baby? , then we realized that it was actually a good thing: You get all the attention you need/want because there is no one else to need anything. Score!

All in all I am glad that we went.

No comments: