June 05, 2009

Call Me Crazy...

I'm not sure how many of you realize that I am a tree hugger at heart; nor am I sue I knew just how much of a tree hugger I truly am before this journey started.

Sure, I have always recycled as much as possible and get upset when I see someone litter: Hey!! This is my Earth too...I don't come over to your house and throw my trash on your floor. So, why do you think it is ok to throw your trash around where I have to look at it and live with it??? And yes I tend to think of how I could re-purpose something verses throwing it in the trash, which I realize is not always the first thing on other people's minds when getting rid of things.

But, it is amazing how much more concerned I became about the impact we would have on the Earth and its resources once I realized Peanut was on the way. Immediately, I started to think of what I could do to lessen the effect our family would have on the current decay of our planet.

As you know, you can find and read all kind of things on the Internet regarding "becoming green/greener" and I think I have managed to spend hours upon hours doing so. In the end, I am happy to report that I think I have found a way to keep Peanut and Earth happy and clean: the "g diaper". Ok, I know you are asking "what the heck is the g diaper?' right about now. Let me tell you:

It is a cross between a traditional cloth diaper and the Oh-so-convenient disposable diaper. It consists of three parts:
The little g pants (washable outter shell, here are my favorites):


A non-plastic refillable liner:


And the flushable/compostable/disposable refill (40 pack):

Now, all of you experienced parents are probably thinking that it seems rather complicated...I get that. But, this is a pretty compelling video. Take a moment to watch it, please...
With that said, MJ and I have decided to use the g diaper!! Lucky for us, we are not "experienced" parents who are USED to the convenience of traditional disposable diapers and this will be able to st our definition of "normal" by way of the g diaper. Now, I am not saying that we won't ever use traditional disposables, I'm just saying that we are going to try to use the g as much as possible. When we do use "disposable" diapers (until poo becomes a little more predictable/normal, at night if the g is not serving us well, "oh crap, we're out of prepped g's", etc.) we hope to use Nature Babycare diapers, which are also made of more earth-friendly products than traditional, plastic disposable diapers:
Like I said, call me crazy....

1 comment:

marisa said...

Phil's sister used these and I think they worked out fine until he was a little older and things got a little bigger ;) Also going places I think they found disposables easier. It did however make him potty train faster because they aren't as absorbent as disposables.