March 18, 2009

Free Time

Today I worked a half day because I deserve to use some of my 30+ comp. hours. So far I have flipped through 2 past issues of O magazine and cried once...not bad. I just read a story about a lady who gave birth to triplets in her 23 week. Unfortunately, 2 of them passed away within hours, the third live for over 200 days. During the time the third child lived, the mother pumped and stored all the milk she could for the day when her child could use it. In the end she had pumped over 56 gallons of milk. Click here to read the whole story.



Why am I writing about this (more importantly, why did Oprah feel it necessary to include it in her magazine)? To help spread the word of the benefits of breast milk and how you might help (or be helped by) an amazing organization. In the end the mother learned of a non-profit organization that could put the milk to good use: The Human Milk Bank of North America (http://www.hmbana.org/) They collect, pasteurize and distribute donated breast milk to children in need. I was amazed to learn of such a service and more amazed that one of the ten banks in North America is right here in Michigan! I know that some of you are totally disgusted by this and I completely understand :) but I thought I would share just in case...

4 comments:

Kristi said...

I believe I'm being misquoted and would like to set the record straight. :)

I DID say that I think wet nursing is a wonderful thing in countries where babies are malnourished or whose mothers die in childbirth.

For me, personally, however, BF is the grossest thing on earth next to eating boogers. Let it be known that I will BF my child because I know it's best for him. It's still gross, though. Ew.

Unknown said...

This is great Keliann!!

Kristi, I was totally grossed out as well at the thought of it, but it all changes and it's really not gross, I was very suprised. Mine is all gone so onto formula starting today!!

marisa said...

Kristi,
I agree with Andrea it won't be gross once you started, then it will just feel like a pain in the butt! ;)

Keliann,
I like your little blog, it is very fun to read!!

Keliann and Michael said...

Just to clear things up, I am not pointing fingers at Kristi or implying that she is going to be a bad mother. I was just recognizing the fact that BF is not always viewed as a wonderful, perfect, magical thing. Each is entitled to their opinion and I too get a little weirded out at the thought of it.