November 08, 2012

Half Birthday

It is hard to believe, but Benjamin is six months old today! That really went by fast but at the same time it feels like he has been a part of our family forever. We are so luck to have him and Abby keeps telling me she wants to keep him forever, which is good.

I'm always amazed at how much of a personality a six month old has, but there is no denying that Ben is Michael's son! Ben is really such a good baby--he loves to smile and laugh even when he is tired, has learned to put himself to sleep (most of the time), and he loves to see his sister.

As far as baby stats...he is just getting into 6-9 month clothes so I think he is about average. Haven't weighed him in a few weeks so I'm not sure what he weighs. I'm guessing he is just over 16 lbs. his hair is filling in nicely though you can't really tell unless you look really close because he is so blond. As far as sleep, he is sleeping 12 hrs some nights and waking for one feeding (or two) other nights. Ben is rolling from tummy to back most days, getting really really close to rolling back to front, and working on sitting up on his own. I think he would be farther along if he had more floor time but with a sister who lives you so much, that is a dangerous place to be! Mommy's in no hurry...

Today was a big day for Ben...he had his first taste of solid foods! This time around I skipped the cereal and went straight for the veggies. I was going to start with sweet potatoes but after talking with other moms I heard that squash was easier to digest so we started there.

Thanks to Door to Door Organics I made Carnival and Kabocha squash to add to the carrots and sweet potatoes already in my freezer. If you haven't tried making your own baby food yet you should give it a try--it's pretty easy and so much cheaper!

It went from this:


To baked and scooped:



To puréed with water:



To table in about 20 minutes (plus the hour baking in the oven) plus I have about 30 more servings in the freezer:



Here are a few pics and some video of him trying his carnival squash:











YouTube Video

In the end, I'm not sure if he really knew what to think of it and I can't say I blame him...squash is not my favorite either!

Happy Half-Birthday Benjamin!!!

No comments: