January 24, 2011

Today finally arrived. I always knew it would but I can't say that I was really ready. Today was Abby's first full day of daycare and my first day back to work in eleven months. But I am happy to report that neither one of us had a complete meltdown, neither one of us through a temper tantrum on the floor, neither one of us had to be sent home ;)

I dropped her off at 7:10 and managed to hold it together until I turned to walk out the door. Miss Kelly said to have a good day and--BOOM--the tears welled up and that pesky frog appeared in my throat. I choked out a rough "bye" as I ran out the door. I refused to let them drop from my eyes, I refused to let my sorrow, guilt, selfishness win. I thought to myself "Abby will have a great time and I will live".

I am oh-so-thankful that my I was able to carpool down to Detroit for training because that hour drive by myself would have killed me! Once we got to work, I only allowed myself to call and check in one time for many reasons: 1) I would drive myself crazy waiting for the next break so I could call again, 2) what was I going to do if she wasn't doing well, 3) I had to have faith in those who I had left her with, 4) deep down I knew that my social little butterfly would love playing with her new friends. So, I managed to make it through 7 hours of training without obsessing or crying.

And I was right! When I went in at 5:20 Miss Melissa said that Abby had a GREAT first day--better than most first days! Not only did she enjoy playing with the others, she ate well and even took an hour and ten minute nap (with minimal crying and a little back rubbing (or at least that is what they told me!))!!! As we were leaving Miss Melissa asked me how old Abby is. I told her 17 months and she was rather amazed. At first I thought it was because she is so small or because she has so few teeth, but she told me that her vocabulary is amazing. I laughed and said that I know that I am going to be in trouble when she gets to be a teenager!

All in all we had a good day. I can't say that I am "so happy" to be back to work or that I really missed this and wished I would have done it sooner but I can say that I know that this is what is best for our family and that we have made the right decisions--and that feels good!

2 comments:

Kelli said...

Good for you! I thought of you all day!

The Agnello Family said...

Yea! I knew you'd both do great! I've been wanting to call but I know you're evening with Abby are very precious. I told you she'd sleep :) Call me when you get a free moment...I miss being able to talk to you during the day!