February 24, 2009

Our New Friend Holly

Living with a secret this big, but yet so little, was exciting and hard. To make keeping the secrete easier we had to avoid our friends. They’re the deactivate type: they would notice if I didn’t have a drink or went home early. Added with the issue of food (the discussion of some foods repulsed me and heaven forbid someone order the fish or Mac’n Cheese, or pizza, or a burger, among other things and I vomit from the smell)—it was just easier to “be busy” when friends called. Michael and I wanted to wait until our first real doctor appointment (the first visit in November with the Midwife did not count; it was just a really expensive pee-on-a-stick visit with a “yup, your pregnant. See you in six weeks.”) to tell anyone, but decided that we would tell our parents at Christmas since my mom was coming home from Virginia.

So, up to Bronner’s we went. We decided to have Christmas ornaments made with “Grandma and Grandpa 2009…” on them. A nice young lady by the name of Holly waited on us at the counter. We picked out the large, red, shiny bulbs with a smile. Then, Holly asked us what we would like to have written on them and Michael and I looked at each other, wide-eyed and smiling. “Grandma and Grandpa 2009…” said Michael; I gave a nervous giggle and started to cry. Holly looked at me kind of confused. Michael told her that we were pregnant and she was the first person we told! She seemed excited for us, and yes a bit shocked. So weird, for the next four weeks the only people in the entire world that knew we were pregnant were Michael and I and our new friend Holly! Little does Holly know that we will always remember her!
Our Christmas gifts to our parents were a huge hit! My parents are first time Grand Parents, this will make number six for Michael’s parents, but I think they are all VERY excited!

No comments: